Let’s find out if Stanley Cups are worth it! Stanley’s Adventure Quencher Travel Tumbler, a well-established 109-year-old brand best known for its camping supplies and outdoor necessities, has recently surfaced as a new contender in the hands and social media posts of people who value proper hydration. Like the influencers they go to for advice, this tumbler has become the preferred option for many millennial and Gen Z women—many of whom are mothers.
- The Allure of Stanley Cups
- Unveiling the Hidden Danger
- How Do You Get Lead Poisoning?
- What are the Top Dangers of Consuming Lead?
- How Do Children Get Lead Poisoning?
- How Do Adults Get Lead Poisoning?
- Is Lead Poisoning Curable?
- What Can Grown-Ups Do To Prevent Lead Poisoning?
- Is it Safe to Drink from Stanley Cups?
The Allure of Stanley Cups
Are 11 colors available for the $40 40-ounce tumbler, including sporadic limited-edition tints? Yes. Its unique design, which includes an insulated body with a tapered shape that easily slides into cup holders, a handle for convenience, and a top with a straw that can be removed, sets it apart. It’s more than just a drink container; it’s a stylish and practical addition that complements the tastes and way of life of today’s socially conscious, health-conscious person.
Unveiling the Hidden Danger
Why do people on the internet believe that Stanley cups are crafted with lead? Well, there’s a bit of truth to that rumor.
How Lead Can Find Its Way Into Stanley Cups
In the manufacturing process, a small amount of material containing lead is used on the bottom cap to seal the insulated cups. This is a standard sealing method used in insulated drinkware. It’s important to note that the lead is securely enclosed within stainless steel. Therefore, it doesn’t rest on the surface of the tumbler or have no contact with the beverage inside.
If you flip your insulated Stanley cup, you’ll notice a small round cap on the outer bottom of the cup. It’s beneath this seal that traces of lead can be found. In various videos where the cups are tested for lead, the swabbing is done on this bottom section after removing the cap cover rather than inside the cup itself.
The Risk Of Lead Contamination In Stanley Cups
Stanley International reassured USA TODAY, “Please rest assured that no lead is present on the surface of any Stanley product that comes in contact with you or the contents of your container.” They emphasized that every Stanley product complies with all U.S. regulatory standards, including California Proposition 65, which mandates businesses to warn Californians about heavy metals and chemicals exposure.
How Do You Get Lead Poisoning?
When lead builds up in the body over time, lead poisoning occurs. Kids, particularly kids that are under the age of six, are most vulnerable to lead poisoning and may get sick from it more quickly since it can affect their development.
Lead exposure was once much more common because lead-based paint was utilized in most homes and structures. Although lead-related dust and paint may still be released from older buildings, regulations have recently altered. People are also more likely to get poisoned if they work in an industry that uses lead-based products or if their air, water, or soil are contaminated.
What are the Top Dangers of Consuming Lead?
At first, it might be hard to identify lead poisoning since elevated blood lead levels are possible in seemingly healthy individuals. Usually, warning signs and symptoms appear once hazardous levels have built up.
Lead Poisoning Symptoms In Children
Children’s lead poisoning symptoms and indicators include:
Sluggishness and fatigue
- Abdominal pain
- Hearing loss
- Developmental delay
- Learning difficulties
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Eating things that aren’t food (pica)
Lead Poisoning Symptoms In Newborns
Infants exposed to lead before birth may:
- Be born prematurely
- Have lower birth weight
- Have slowed growth
Lead Poisoning Symptoms In Adults
Lead poisoning is deadly for adults as well, even though children are the ones who are most at risk. In adults, symptoms and indicators could include:
- Abdominal pain
- Mood disorders
- Reduced sperm count and abnormal sperm
- High blood pressure
- Joint and muscle pain
- Difficulties with memory or concentration
- Miscarriage, stillbirth, or premature birth in pregnant women
How Do Children Get Lead Poisoning?
Lead poisoning in children is primarily caused by lead-based paint that was used in homes constructed before 1978. Children’s systems are exposed to lead paint when they:
- Touch or taste paint chips from paint peeling that contain lead.
- Put their hands in their mouths, toys, and other objects contaminated with lead dust.
- Inhale lead fumes.
- Chew on furniture, door frames, windowsills, and other lead-based paint-covered objects.
- Drink water that has come from lead-leaching older water pipes.
How Do Adults Get Lead Poisoning?
Adults who consume contaminated food or water might become exposed to elevated levels of lead and develop lead poisoning. They could eat food or liquids from lead-contaminated dishes or cups. Lead dust may be present if you work in an area where lead paint is used or if you are remodeling your home.
Is Lead Poisoning Curable?
Lead poisoning has irreversible effects. However, by identifying and eliminating the lead sources from your environment, you can lower blood lead levels and stop additional exposure.
The medical professional treating your child may prescribe a chelating agent if blood lead levels are high. This medication binds to lead in the bloodstream, facilitating its removal from the body.
The doctor who treats you or your child may also suggest whole-bowel irrigation. To clean out the contents of the stomach and intestines, the healthcare professional will provide a specific solution called polyethylene glycol to take orally or via a stomach tube. If an X-ray of the abdomen shows lead paint chips, bowel irrigation is intended to stop additional lead absorption.
What Can Grown-Ups Do To Prevent Lead Poisoning?
You should do the following if you handle lead or run the danger of coming into touch with lead dust:
- Put on personal safety gear.
- After work, change into new clothes and shoes.
- When you arrive home, take a shower.
Is it Safe to Drink from Stanley Cups?
Exposure to high levels of lead can result in lead poisoning. It’s a severe illness, but thankfully, your Stanley Cup is still safe to drink from. Nearly all of your organs may be affected by lead, but the lead found in the Stanley Cup is not enough or accessible to make you sick. Homes built before 1978 are where lead is found most often, so your home may make you sick before your Stanley Cup does.