If you are looking for a delicious vitamin and mineral enriched substitute for taco meat then look no further! Brussel sprouts are a great filling and addition to your taco night. To make them even tastier try pairing with avocado.
Not to mention these tacos are completely vegetarian, which can work great for larger get-togethers.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Servings – 4
- ½ red onion sliced to your liking. Thinly sliced does work best and it is recommended.
- ½ of a freshly squeezed lime. Safe the other half and cut into wedges for serving.
- Freshly ground pepper and kosher salt to taste.
- 8 tortillas (corn tortillas work best), preferably 6 inches in size.
- 1 large avocado
- Oven-roasted Brussel sprouts. Try coating them in Chipotle honey glaze before cooking. This will add depth to the flavor.
- ¼ cup of unsalted roasted peanuts. First, find out if any of your guests are allergic beforehand.
- ½ Fresh cut parsley
- ¼ Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lemon and garlic mayonnaise
- Wash, cut, and coat the Brussel sprouts. Roast in the oven until slightly golden.
- Slice the onion and add to a small bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over and set it aside to marinate.
- Toast the tortillas until slightly charred. You can achieve this by using a gas flame.
- Stack all the tortillas once charred onto a plate. Cover either with a clean kitchen cloth or food net.
- Slice the avocado into strips. Add salt and pepper. Set aside for now.
- Spread the garlic and lemon mayonnaise onto the tortillas.
- Place about two tablespoons of Brussel sprouts inside.
- Top with avocado, onions, peanuts, and herbs.
- Accompany the tacos with options of sour cream and chili sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Notes From Healthier Me Today
- This is a great way to get more vegetables into your children’s diet. Who can resist a delicious taco!
- This is a great healthier version of often calorie-filled comfort food.
- You can substitute the chipotle honey glaze with normal honey and a few splashes of soya sauce.
- Tortillas can burn very quickly, so make sure you keep your eye on them.
- For extra crunch and sweetness, you can top with some corn.