Hmmm… Fudgy Chocolate Beet Cake – Do not fret, you won’t be able to taste the beets at all! They will give this cake a delicately fudgy texture and it will be anything but dry. It will be a healthier version of your favorite guilty pleasure and will come out perfectly moist and full-bodied each time.
|Preparation time||30 minutes|
|Total time||4 hours|
|Yields||1 9-inch cake|
- 4 medium trimmed and peeled beets cut into 2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup safflower oil and more for pan
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ natural cane sugar
- 1 ½ unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large room temperature eggs
- ¾ warm water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chocolate – Ganache Frosting
- 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate that’s been finely chopped
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- Steam the beets for about 25 minutes until tender when poked with a fork.
- Let beets cool a bit then add to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Brush a 9-inch round or square cake pan with oil. Line it with parchment paper and do the same to the paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the unbleached all-purpose flour, spelt flour, cocoa powder, sugar, soda, and salt.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, water, vanilla extract, 1 ¼ of the beet puree.
- Pour your batter into the cake pan.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, rotating halfway through. Insert a tester in the center and if it comes out clean, remove it from the oven.
- Set onto the cooling rack and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Flip the cake onto the rack and then let it cool completely.
- Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat the cream until it simmers.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir until it’s combined and smooth. Let it stand for about an hour, occasionally stirring.
- When it has thickened and is spreadable, use immediately.
- Place the cake onto a plate and ice it with the ganache.
Notes From Healthier Me Today
- Fudgy Chocolate Beet Cake can be covered and stored at room temperature for two days.
- The chocolate hardens quite quickly, so keep an eye on the ganache when it is standing for the hour.
- Serve with whip cream and strawberries (optional)