Tom Platz leg workout - Learn more with Healthier Me Today! Tom Platz ...
Different types of cancer is known as a condition that causes cells to grow uncontrollably. The over populous growth of cells damages the immune system and jeopardizes the body’s overall health. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), cancer is the second leading cause of death in the US. Presently, there are more than 100 types of cancer. While some are preventable, others are not.
Research has shown that everything from poor nutrition and obesity to high alcohol consumption and tobacco can increase cancer risk. In addition, a recent survey by the ACS (American Cancer Society) shows that age could also be a factor. As seen in this survey, 87% of cancer cases in the US are in people 50 years old and above.
Give Us Your Opinion! – Take Our Cancer Survey Today
Different Types of Cancer
As previously mentioned, there are over 100 types of cancer. The most common of them is prostate cancer, breast cancer, and lung cancer. Below are a few other types of cancer that are often seen:
Symptoms and Diagnosis of Different Types of Cancer
Provided are some common symptoms associated with cancer:
- Lump in any part of the body
- Extreme fatigue that doesn’t improve, even after resting
- Unexplained weight loss or weight gain
- Thickening of any part of the body
- Lack of appetite and trouble swallowing
- Vomiting, nausea, and belly pain
- Blood in the urine
- Constant diarrhea or constipation
- Cough (that doesn’t improve over time)
- Hearing problems
Diagnosis of Cancer
Below are some of the Diagnosis of Cancer:
Biopsy: A small sample of cells is collected and tested in a lab during a biopsy. An expert will carefully examine the sample to see if the cells are orderly and uniform. Unfortunately, cancerous cells aren’t orderly and have varying sizes.
Blood Test: A sample of your blood is tested to see any abnormalities.
Imaging Test: With an imaging test, your doctor will be able to examine everything from your organs to your bones. Some of these imaging tests include:
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Computerized Tomography
- Bone Scan
- Positron Emission Tomography
Physical Examination: During a physical exam, your doctor will examine some parts of your body for lumps, skin color changes, and other abnormalities.
Types of Cancer Treatment
There are several ways it can be treated after the diagnosis of cancer has been established. Before recommending any of them, your doctor will first consider factors like the types of cancer treatment you have, your general health, and the stage of cancer. Included are types of cancer treatment and approaches your doctor may recommend:
- Hormone Therapy: Here, your doctor will recommend medications that will change how some hormones work and the rate at which your body produces them.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy aims to destroy cancerous cells with certain drugs. These medications can also shrink tumors. However, note that these medications have serious side effects.
- Surgery: A surgical procedure is performed to reduce or remove lymph nodes. This is done to prevent it from spreading.
- Stem Cell: This treatment is oftentimes recommended for people with leukemia. During the procedure, damaged red and white blood cells are removed, strengthened by lab technicians, and then returned to the body.
- Radiation Therapy: The procedure involves using radiation to destroy cancerous cells.
- Immunotherapy: Here, medications that boost the immune system and attack cancerous cells are used.
How to Manage Cancer
Below are some alternative cancer treatments. Be sure to consult your doctor before trying any of them.
Acupuncture: Studies have shown that acupuncture can help reduce the pain associated with some types of cancer. It is also helpful in relieving the nausea patients experience after chemotherapy.
Exercise: Low impact exercise can help manage the symptoms you may experience during treatment. Regular exercise can help relieve stress and improve sleep quality too. Multiple studies have shown that a good exercise program can improve the quality of life for people living with cancer and even make them live longer.
Yoga: Yoga is a combination of deep breathing and gentle stretching. Research suggests that yoga can help reduce stress and fatigue while also improving sleep quality.
- What increases the risk of cancer? Research suggests that poor dieting, aging, sun exposure, obesity, heavy intake of tobacco and alcohol, and some viruses increase cancer risk.
- Is cancer a common health condition? According to the WHO (World Health Organization), cancer is one of the leading causes of death. Almost 10 million people died of cancer in 2020.
Healthier Me Today is intended for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment. Always consult with your healthcare professional. Stay healthy!