Carrot-Chickpea Burgers great tasting meat alternative will be a hit at the next burger night! The whole family will love this nutritious plant-based patty and you don’t even need buns to enjoy it, simply wrap it with sturdy lettuce and enjoy!
|Preparation time||40 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour|
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil and more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 cup of grated carrot (about 2) and more for serving
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 can of drained chickpeas
- ½ cup cooked white rice
- ½ cup of panko crumbs
- 1 large egg
- ¾ packed cup of fresh chopped cilantro. Keep a few leaves for serving
- Lettuce for serving (little gem lettuce works well)
- Over medium heat, place a skillet and heat 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the carrots, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about one minute while stirring.
- Add 1 cup chickpeas, rice, panko, and egg to a food processor and pulse until it forms a paste.
- Add the remaining chickpeas, the carrots mixture, ½ cup chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ pepper, and pulse.
- Once combined make four ¾ inch thick patties. Place them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Mix together yogurt, ¼ cup cilantro, 1 teaspoon of oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil at medium to high heat.
- Add the pattern and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve over lettuce or buns, drizzle some of the yogurt sauce over and add the remaining carrots and cilantro, season with some more black pepper.
Notes From Healthier Me Today
- You can spice up Carrot-Chickpea Burgers by adding paprika to the patty mixture and chili’s to the yogurt sauce.
- Avocado and caramelized onions are a great addition to toppings.
- To complete this meal serve with some sweet potato fries, double the yogurt sauce recipe, and have a dip for the fries.