Golden Dal with Gingered Tomatoes is a delicious Indian-style stew that will transport your taste buds. With rich flavors of shallots, tomatoes, cumin, and sunny turmeric singing in harmony with the red-lentil stew will make this dish a new staple dinner in your home.
|Preparation time||25 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour|
- 2 cups of rinsed red lentils
- Freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 cups of mixed vegetables, such as carrots, golden beets, orange, and yellow bell peppers. Make sure they are diced into ¾ pieces.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- ¼ cup of raw coconut oil
- Pour 8 cups of water into a large pot. Add the lentils, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, and turmeric.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat and add the vegetables.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often. Once the vegetables have cooked and lentils have broken, you may add seasoning if you’d like.
- Heat cumin seeds until sizzling in a large skillet pan on medium heat. This will take roughly 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the shallots and ginger to the skillet and stir until browned, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Combine the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook and often stir until they just begin to split.
- Top the lentil stew with the tomato mixture.
- Add a dollop or two of yogurt and fresh mint to cut the heat.
Notes From Healthier Me Today
- If your yogurt is challenging to spoon, add a small splash of water to make it smoother.
- For more of a kick, you can add some thin chile slices to your Golden Dal with Gingered Tomatoes at the end or cook it with the shallots.
- Add a few splashes of coconut cream into the lentils or drizzle on top for extra depth.
Do you Want the Best Kitchen Supplies?
33 Piece Non-Stick Silicone Utensils:
20 Piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls:
24 Piece Storage Container: