Vegetarian Chili has great flavors and has all the feelings of comfort, this dish will be an ideal way to add more plant-based foods. If you are in a pinch, this dish can be made in a skillet, cutting the cooking time in half. Using a skillet instead of a pot can increase the aromatics of the spices for depth of flavor.
|Preparation time||20 minutes|
|Total time||40 minutes|
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 finely diced large red onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of chopped chipotle in adobo
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 3 cups cooked kidney, pinto, or black beans. You can also use two cans of beans instead, strained and rinsed. Plus 1 cup bean cooking liquid or water.
- 1 ½ cups of sharp cheddar
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves or small sprigs
- Charred or blistered corn tortillas
- Sour cream
- Sweet corn
- Add oil to a skillet and bring to medium heat. Keep ¼ of the diced onions aside and add the rest to the skillet. Add the minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook until tender. Roughly about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the chipotle, chili powder, can of tomatoes, and cumin. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the beans and cooking liquid, bring to a simmer.
- Cook until it has slightly thickened. Season to taste and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Cover with lid until melted and remove from stovetop.
- Now add the topping. The reserved onions, avocado, and cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream, sweet corn, and tortillas.
Notes From Healthier Me Today
- If you want to go a step further and make it more decadent, crumble feta cheese on top.
- This is a great alternative to original chili. It’s also healthier and you definitely don’t need to be vegetarian to enjoy this dish.
- You can substitute ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper for the chipotle if you’d like.
- If preparing for children add less chili powder and chipotle for a milder flavor. Decrease amount according to the child’s age.
Do you Want Spectacular Looking Chili Each Time?
4 Pack Ceramic Chili Bowls:
50 Disposable Chili Cups:
4 Pink Ceramic Chili Bowls: